Hiring an SEO Consultant "Important Question To Ask"
Tactics and strategies they see working
Question: What are a few of the tactics and strategies you've seen working well lately for a site such as mine?
- Why you ask it: You want to ask this question because you want to make sure you hire a consultant who has expertise in your industry. Not to mention working on a website that has thousands of pages. There are many ways to execute strategies that will increase rankings but make sure they practice Google guidelines and take in consideration how Google's use BERT to adjust rankings.
Reporting if the job is successful, and understanding
Question: How often do you report on the job you're doing, and how do I know if it's successful?
- SEO reporting is not as complicated. You want to make sure you start with a baseline. How much traffic are you currently getting, How many keywords are currently ranking on the website, and overall keyword rankings? In my past experience, set a 3-month Goal based on these metrics. SEO will change from week to week so monthly reporting is vital but be open to allocating resources to the opportunity that may appear each month that will bring cash to the bottom line.
Link building approach
- Why do you ask it? Link building can make or break your SEO strategies. Google still puts a lot of importance on backlinks but they continue to enforce their guidelines. There are a lot of link schemes and blog networks you want to stay away from. The days of getting dozen of links each month are gone. Work on the quality of links and focus on creating real partnerships with the local community and experts in your online industry. Follow Google's rules and make sure to use the No-Follow attribute for paid or advertising links.
- Start with a 3 month SEO Strategy. Normally in my experience, the first month is fixing technical issues and planning. Once you execute new content and start backlink it takes a month or even longer to see new keywords and increase of rankings. Meet weekly and review positive and negative changes. Be aware that Google updates the algorithm weekly so you will see fluctuation. 3 months is a good amount of time to analyze your progress.
Working with competitors
- Most SEO will tell you if they are working with Compeitors in your space, "this is up to your discretion whether to work with them." To be honest you want to work with an SEO Consultant who has worked in your space and understands the type of content and strategies to rank in your queries.
Who you will talk with on a regular basis
- You want to make sure you have direct contact with your hirer. I personally prefer a weekly meeting, project manager board "Trello", skype or slack channel to help communicate. When communication breaks down work does not get done. SEO can be active as it can change daily so be able to communicate what is happening with ranking or taking advantage of what is happening in the world can impact SEO.
SEO is ongoing and you should not invest in a consultant if you can't afford it. Don't hirer if you need a fast fix unless you need an SEO Audit but more than often it won't save your website. Investing SEO services as a plan to increase free traffic for the future of your online business.